Just outside of Livingston there is some private property that smokes and smolders. It is a fire below the ground where they dumped tons of sawdust that spontaneously combusted and now it will burn for 100 years. Usually it is just smelly and smokey as we drive by, but tonight it was flaming. Our customary winds blew from the other direction. The north wind fanned the flames. I snapped a picture of it from a distance so as not to trespass, and it looks really dangerous to me. Sparks flared and it looked like a bonfire. I hope it rains in sheets tonight.
The people involved in the property have tried dumping sand and water on it, but nothing extinguishes it. I have heard rumours that it is the mouth of an earth dragon which lives under Livingston. A dragon whose belly is full of soot from the Superfund area under the railroads. I think it was enjoying the change in our winds. Perhaps it blows a changes of other sorts too.