December 27, 2006

What do you think of when i say SACK?

I remember when I went to college in Eugene Oregon I bought some stuff at the convenience store on campus. I had several items so I asked for a sack. The cashier a young male college student looked at me HORRIFIED. He asked "where are you from that you call a grocery bag a sack?" I decided not to dignify him with a response (and my cheeks were bright red because I understood what other sack he was referring too). Later I was asked if I had a maritime accent by an overeager TA trying to build rapport like the pedagogue class said. I think it was because I said "eh" and had an boot in my about. My friends and I charted a correlation between the times I was asked if I had an accent to the times guys were hitting on me. It was a high correlation. I think it is because, just like my handwriting, my language and accent is mercurial. Anyway per the next quiz here lately I am solidly General.

Just a quick note: here in Montana, sack means grocery sack.


Here is my linguistic profile:






70% General American English
10% Midwestern
10% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Dixie

No comments: